Monday, January 24, 2005

My Life as a Flag Football Quarterback

Hmmm... interesting weekend. Back to church for the first time in a while. It was... different. Not a real sermon, but just sort of praying and singing and communion for 2 hours. It felt good to be back in church, but at the same time, sort of depressing. I look back and think about the people who I stood shoulder to shoulder with back in the day, the people with whom Proverbs 27:17 and Ecclesiastes 4:12 came to life, and I realized that that time has passed me by. And now church doesn't represent a time for a gathering that invigorates me and pushes me forward to fight for the future, but rather a time of remembering the past, and wishing that the present would be better.

I wonder how this feeling will change. I think that it has to. I don't know what it will take, but I'm slowing it down a little bit this semester. Not in terms of what I'm learning, where I'm going. But in how I'm getting there. I think of it like when I'm playing QB. When I take a good drop back, scan the field, and then set up my body to throw, I am more likely to get off a really strong, accurate pass. The field looks like it's moving in slow motion, and I'm in control of everything. Now, when on the run, it's much harder to complete a pass, becuase everything's moving so fast, and so many things can go wrong.

When I'm in the pocket, all I need to do is to find my receiver, and then step into it. The mechanics take care of themselves. When I'm on the run, not only is it harder to find an open man, after I find the opening, I need to set my feet, square my shoulders, account for the drift on the ball, all before I actually release the ball. It's not easy.

So what does this mean? A few things come to mind.

1) NFL QB's are awesome

2) I need to make sure that if I'm on the run, that I need to make sure that all of the little steps are taken care of.

3) I work better in the pocket, when I can deliberately and methodically check off my options before I really commit and gun the ball in there.

I think that I'll be making church a more regular thing.

-Chairman

No comments: