Monday, December 24, 2007

The Worst Day of the Year

Nope. It's not Christmas Eve, on a general level. And you've already heard me rant on how overrated Christmas is. But I just had pretty much the worst day of the year today.

Yep. I lost in the UPL Football finals. It's like when Doyle Brunson says that the worst day of the year is the day you lose at the World Series of Poker. For me in the UPL, the worst day of the year is when you lose the chance at the Roland Slam. Sometimes it comes early, if you lose in baseball or football. This year it came on Christmas Eve. Bah humbug. Of course, the worst day of 2008 may come in the spring, if I don't get my act together in basketball.

The funny part, was that CJ (who actually won UPL Football this year, in his first attempt) and I did our 2nd Annual Bad Decisions in St. Louis weekend. We drove down to the Braggin' Rights game on Saturday, caught dinner and watched the game, and then went out on the Landing until the bars closed. One thing that we did do was get some food after the game at The Drunken Fish (sushi lounge on the landing), instead of going right over to the Morgan St. Brewery. Of course, after we got done at 2am, we promptly drove back to Champaign, pulling into TFS right at 5 in the morning. Last year, after we did this, I was sick in bed for about a week afterwards, and not really right until February. Of course, last year, I had a flight to catch the next day, and was miserable for 7 hours of travel back to my parent's place in SC. Of course, I was well enough to go out one of those nights, and meet an interesting character, so it may have been worth it. But this year, a late afternoon feeding at the new Chinese Buffet made things better.

I think that this is going to be a ritual for at least another year. That is, the Braggin' Rights game, followed by closing out the Morgan St. Brewery, followed by a drive back to Champaign, and not losing in the finals of UPL Football... though this is 2 years running... maybe it will be a part of the tradition, as well.

I still owe you guys a posting on the Illini basketball team. I like some things about this squad, but we're fatally flawed in some areas, I think. That will come soon - maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

-Chairman

No comments: