Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stickiness and Obliviousness

Is it a bad thing that the latest Wendy's, boy-band parody commercials that promote the coffee, toffee, twisted Frosty are probably catchier and better produced than most music on the radio? I don't have any particular desire to consume the coffee, toffee, twisted Frosty, but I think that I'm enjoying the commercials quite a bit. After all, there are few things that I enjoy more than mocking things I dislike.

The downside of this is that, much like The Lonely Island song, "I'm on a Boat," the interpretation of the parody may miss the intended goal. In this case, instead of people enjoying the mockery of hip-hop, people are actually enjoying being on a Boat, as hip-hop. But then again, how can you go wrong when you have lyrics like, "It's a big, blue, watery road." I suppose that this is just a depressing merger of art and life.

And I wonder if the Frosty Posse won't end up being more long-lived than the coffee, toffee, twisted Frosty that they're promoting. After all, like H.L. Mencken told us, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, and I'm not about to do anything different.

-Chairman

No comments: