Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dead Sport Walking

Yep. Any sport where our "best team ever" loses to Ghana is done. Finished. So, I think that the talk of soccer as a major sport in the U.S. is done. It's back to competing with the lacrosse leagues, ping-pong, paintball, Scrabble, and Magic: the Gathering for airtime on Bill Simmon's ESPN6. I mean, I'll be a sucker and watch us in the World Cup. But on the same token, I also root for the U.S. Curling Team every 4 years. And you know what? I guarantee that our curling team beats the crap out of Ghana next time we face them.

On a tangent, why do we have men's curling and women's curling? Is there a difference in ability that we need to keep the genders separate? Same goes for something like shooting or archery. I think that we need to start consolidating some sports where there's no physical discrepancy, if nothing else, than to keep me from having to watch both men and women in some silly competition at the Olympics where all I want is for Team USA to beat some country that I didn't even realize was a country in some sport that I didn't realize was a sport. But enough about that. Back to complaining about futbol.

Sure, parents may keep having their kids play soccer because it's good to get kids out of the house. But actually watching it when you don't have a child playing? Uggh. It's like watching club hockey. It may be fun every once in a while, but you don't go there for the quality of the sport. You go there because you get to watch drunks in the stands, hear adults yell obscenities in front of kids, and because there's nothing else to do. Which is fine. Cubs fans have been doing this for years. But don't tell me that soccer is the "next big thing." That would be like Cubs fans telling me, "this is our year." I'll just roll my eyes, and go back to sleep. Like I'm about to do right now (damned 8:55 kickoff times).

-Chairman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tangent:

There is Mixed curling, with two males and two females on each team. It's just not recognized at the highest level with a world championship or Olympic berth. It's considered more social than "high-performance".

Also, there are physical strength issues between the curling genders, and females would acknowledge that male curlers have certain advantages, the biggest in sweeping strength and leg drive, ie. the ability to throw the rock very hard. The big-weight option helps a team dictate strategy, and women (or any curlers) who don't have that weapon in their arsenal will play a completely different game style than those who do.

So there ya go.

Chairman said...

God, I love modern communications. I pose a random question that I've been wondering about for a while on a blog, and sure enough, someone has a good answer for me. Damn skippy. I didn't figure on strength being limiting factor in curling. But I guess that it makes a difference. This just makes me more excited for curling next time it rolls around on TV.

-Chairman