Monday, October 23, 2006

Running the Table

You know - it's hard to win 8 games in a row of anything. The odds are 256-1 that you are able to call a coin flip 8 times in a row. But, if I want to get my first flag football IM Champion t-shirt, I'm going to have to. Happily, we have had better than 50-50 odds in our first 4 games, so maybe I'm not using up all of my luck. I think that we'll have pretty good odds in our first game, but after that, we're looking at coin flips. So, I figure that we'll have a 1 in 8 chance in taking home the hardware.

My co-rec flag team, 13th Tribe, managed to win our division by going 4-0, and more or less creaming the opposition. We've outscored the opposition 99-24, and have let two games end with us having the ball deep in enemy territory. Tonight was our toughest game, against the other team that's going to make playoffs from our division. We won 13-9, letting the clock run out from their 6" line, instead of running up the score. Oh yeah. And we played with only 3 guys and 3 girls on the field, instead of the 4 guys and 4 girls that they had on the field at all times, and the 7 or so subs that they kept bringing in. We're pretty good.

Tonight, we won by making some big plays when we had to. We picked them 3 times (including one by yours truly, in a stunning upset - I don't get to catch the ball much), and played smart on offense. The trick to winning in flag football is to find good players to have on your team. And I've learned this trick well. Freddy has been pretty much awesome all year, catching deep balls, making tough catches for me, as well as playing standout D. My guy Aaron had a pretty amazing game tonight. He had a Pick-6, as well another pick which set us up with a short field for our other TD, which he also caught. I mean, let's put it this way. Lil' Mecozzi is my 3rd option on offense. But where we do better than other teams is with our girls. In particular, Lauren and Sherri have been making catches and playing good D for us. But all of the girls have been rock-solid, and everyone can catch.

Playoffs will be interesting. We have a bye week next week, so we'll have at least 9 days before we have our next game. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a practice in this week, and be sharp next week when playoffs start up. Maybe with a little practice, I can make those 8-1 odds go down to 7-1.

-Chairman

1 comment:

Westy said...

Congrats on the INT.
Undoubtedly fueled by the large Blizzard you had hours before gametime.