Friday, October 20, 2006

Stomach Punches

I think that I'm a bad person. As we've covered, generally, I root for the away team to win in some sort of "stomach punch" fashion that makes all of the home team's fans walk home in stunned silence, wondering if there is a sports God.

The exception is if I can have a more immediate effect. I was off watching the end of the game at the bar with a ton of Bears fans. So, normally, I would have been rooting for Rackers to shank the kick because you would have had all these Arizona fans walking home with victory snatched from them. But, since I had all of the Bears fans around me, I was rooting for the kick to hit, just so I could watch people go from elated to depressed in the span of 2 seconds. It's quite fun, actually.

Unfortunately, if there is a sports God, he seems to be going against me for now. Rackers missed the kick, and I had to watch Bears fans celebrate.

Flash forward to last night. Same story. Cards fans watching Game 7. Normally, I'd be rooting for something like Beltran getting a single, and driving in a run, only to have the would-be game-tying run thrown out at the plate, sending all of Shea home unhappy. But, since I had all of these idiot Cards fans around me, I was rooting for the anti-climactic loss. Something like Beltran getting a single to drive in 2, and have a tied game with runners on 1st and 3rd. Followed by a passed ball, or better yet, a balk. Unfortunately for me, he's caught looking at a so-so curveball.

Oh well.

I suppose that there are only so many Steve Bartman moments, where not only do the home fans get stunned, but you also get to watch the faces of a bunch of fans right around you turn into disgust.


-Chairman

No comments: