Friday, August 10, 2007

Where's My PR Person?

See below. My people need to do a better job getting my name out there. As an aside, I also enjoyed it when La Parka was in WCW hitting people over the head with a chair and calling himself the "Chairman of WCW." That was pretty sweet. The Sports Guy not recognizing my nickname? Sad.

Q: I know it's pretty obvious, but Yi Jianlian's nickname has to be "The Chairman," right?
--M. Filion, Montreal


SG:
Has to be. There hasn't been a more effective nickname in years. Not only does it sound like the right nickname for him ("Chairman Yi"), but the joke-trapped-inside-the-joke (during ESPN's lottery show, there was video of Yi posting up actual chairs and spinning around them for layups) will never stop being funny. And when you think about it, we haven't been able to call anyone "The Chairman" since Sinatra died. So it's done -- we're calling Yi "The Chairman." This meeting is adjourned.

edit: And just for the record, "Chairman Yao" would have been a far superior nickname. Almost on par with Chairman Gau. Leave it to a Canadian to butcher things.

-Chairman

2 comments:

Greg McConnell said...

Don't worry. I don't think the NBA is about to nickname any of its athletes "The Chairman." (Although, the WWE could be a different story.)

Admittedly, I always picture you as "Chairman" of an American corporation and forget about the other reference. I can't be blamed for this though, because your blog is named "Chairman Gau's Board Room." If instead it were named "The People's Board Room," then that would be a different story. I've been conditioned to be on the lookout for a communist dictator whenever anything is termed "The People's _____."

Chairman said...

Plus, most people confuse me for being black, rather than Chinese, so it's understandable that wouldn't associate the Chairman in a non-business way.