Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Waiting

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

-Tom Petty

So now I wait. I just had a campus visit last week. This was a final interview for a position on the faculty in the business college of a reasonably well-regarded BCS school. I think that I did well on the interview. I'm one of 3 finalists, and was the last one to take my campus visit. We'll see how it goes, but I think that I've got an above average chance, so instead of 1 in 3, maybe 50-50? I have to say, I enjoyed my visit, so if I get the offer, I'm pretty much there. And if not? Beats me.

All I know is that this time next year, I'll be hanging around a different town, being overpaid as a professor. The thought of making roughly 6-7 times my current salary sort of makes me laugh. I mean, I definitely think that I'm underpaid right now for what I do, but I definitely don't think that if you give me 50% more work (which is roughly what the difference will be) that I would expect to get paid 600% more. Honestly, if you told me that I was going to basically do what I'm doing now, only teach one more class each semester, I'd be happy to make $50K. Now, let's go ahead and more than double, or maybe even triple that number?

If you remember my old posts that discuss why I should never be rich...

This can't be good. Can it?

-Chairman

No comments: