Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Democratic Process: Giving Props

This is a leftover from last month's election day results that I never got around to finishing until now...

You have love democracy. A democratic process where one man gets one vote. No matter how incredibly smart and influential that man is, he only gets one vote. And no matter how poor, uneducated, unintelligent, etc. that man is, he gets the same vote.

Okay. So maybe it isn't the most efficient form of government. In fact, I was reminded of this when I saw some of the celebrations after Obama won. Let's just say that when some dude with a sideways baseball cap who is flashing gang signs for the camera at a political rally gets the same power that I do, I sort of wonder about how efficient this process actually is.

But dammit, it's our form of government. Sort of. We're not really in a democracy, but sort of a hybrid democratic republic. For the most part, we don't get to vote on laws. We elect officials, who then propose and pass laws. So that's a republic. But every once in a while, we get good ol' fashioned democracy. This time around, it happened out in California.

I don't really say this often, but I have to give some props to the folks out in Cali. Why? They gave their props to the democratic process... Prop 8, specifically. In case you weren't aware, they were trying to legalize gay marriage out in California.

Now, there's a phrase, that just goes against everything I believe in.

Gay Marriage.

I'm not really a fan of gay. I'm not homophobic. I think that homophobia is usually a misnomer. I'm not really afraid of gays, per se. I don't really care who's sleeping with who. I just don't like the culture or values of the homosexual community. Maybe that makes me homosexist, or maybe anti-gay. But not homophobic. We need to find a better word, anyway. But the gist of this is that I don't like "gay" (actually, I think that preferred term is "queer" ) culture.

And marriage. Those cultural values may be even worse. I mean, who wouldn't want to go out to pick moldings and curtains at Home Depot on a Sunday afternoon, instead of recovering from Saturday night, while watching the games, and reveling in being awesome. And who doesn't want to have extra pillows on the bed that you never really use, and aren't even comfortable enough to use even if you had to.

All I can say is that if you have a proposition to ban gay culture, I could see myself taking the time to go vote. And if you had a proposition to ban the institution of marriage, again I could see myself voting. But a proposition to ban both in one fell swoop? I'm surprised that I didn't establish residency in California so that I could vote. Heck, I'd consider voting twice.

But that would have been a lot of work. The good people in California (in particular, the Mormons), saw fit to go out and vote down gay marriage. Which saved me the trouble. In any case, I'm just glad that we can violate civil rights in an orderly, democratic fashion. Because that's what I'm about.

-Chairman

No comments: