Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Self-Regulating Systems

This is nice. I have a week "off" to get all sorts of things done. I've got 3 term papers to write up over the next few weeks, 1 journal article to get submitted, and I've still got a fiction novel and a book on nanotechnology to write up. So what have I done thus far? Not a darned thing. I've managed to get myself out of bed on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, so that's worth celebrating. I even managed to play some ball on Saturday and Sunday. I was supposed to work out on Monday, but I decided to get a haircut, instead. Because that sort of activity can really wear you out. I've managed to do a little cooking, but nothing too intense. Just a little experimenting, making some stuffing and gravy, working on some easy desserts, that sort of thing. And I've managed to watch a lot of football. So it's been productive, I guess.

What amazes me is how the body is able to regulate itself, probably more effectively at the subconscious level than at the conscious level. I've never really thought it about it much, but how often you think to yourself, "boy, I didn't realize that I was that tired." I marvel at how the body just seems to know when it needs to slow down, or even shut down, before it allows us to kill ourselves by running around. For weeks, I've been pushing myself, studying, trying to work out, and generally not getting enough sleep. I've sort of let myself get worn down, by only getting 6 hours a night during the week, and really not letting myself on the weekends because I've been going out on Friday and Saturday, and then not sleeping in on Sunday. And I hadn't really noticed it, but I've been tired. I think back to a few years ago when I was on co-op. Every morning started at 7:15 because I had to get to work by 8. And I was going out with friends until about midnight every night. But, every Saturday and Sunday, I had no responsibility, so I got as much sleep as I wanted. The body always felt fresh.

So what's the difference now? Saturday isn't quite so bad now, but there are occasional football games and tailgating and such that makes you get up early. And getting up after going out and getting 5 hours of sleep isn't so hot. And every Sunday, I get up at 9:15 to play ball with my usual crew. Which generally means that I get maybe 6 hours of sleep that night. So, every weekend, instead of letting myself recharge, I'm going out, staying out too late, and not getting enough sleep.

Now what amazes me is how the body just lets you know that it needs rest. Friday was sort of low key - went to the basketball game, and then hung out with my roommate Jonathan and some other folks, playing cards and whatnot over at Sydney's place. Got to bed by 2, and then slept for 9 hours. But the body was so tired that I didn't get anything done - just hung out and played around in the kitchen, and zoned out in front of the TV. I wanted to get some work done, but the head was so hazy and cloudy all day that I couldn't get anything good down on paper. So I hit the gym for a little hoops and a quick lift. That normally clears up my head. But it didn't. The brain wasn't going to work, so I just punted - zoned out, watched sports for the rest of the night. Got myself a solid 9 hours on Saturday night.

And you'd figure that things would be fine on Sunday. Basketball wasn't until 11, and I played until about 1:30. I played pretty well, and had a lot of energy, but that afternoon, the head just wasn't clear, yet. No work was going to get done that afternoon. So I just hung out and watched more football (notice a theme here?) in the afternoon, and went out to chill with my buddy CJ that night. Again, got to bed before it was too late, and gave myself another 9 hours that night.

And the plan for Monday? Lift when the gym opens at 11, get lunch, work all afternoon, and go hang out for a little bit at night. Did it work? Of course not. The body just wasn't ready to get to work - the head was still hazy. So how did the day look? Mope around a little bit in the morning, catch some lunch, and then go out and get a haircut in the afternoon. After I got back from the haircut, I entertained the thought of working out, but instead just took a shower to get the little bits of hair out, and then took a nap. The plan was to get back up by 6:45, but I just ignored the alarm, and let the chips fall where they were going to fall. So how did this end up? A nice 5 hour nap, from 5 until 10, just in time to get up and catch the tail end of (you guessed it) Monday Night Football. I know, I know. Inspiring.

How does that work? A 5 hour nap? After getting good sleep all weekend? I think that it's just the body telling me that I need to get some rest before I get ready for takeoff again. I think that I'm ready to get back to work, and regardless of what the body tells me, it's time to get to work. Will this actually happen? I think so because if it doesn't, I'll probably end up killing myself for the rest of the semester, which is no good, either.

So what's going to be next? Well, if nothing comes up that just needs to be written about, I'm going to talk about this epidemic going around where all of my friends are getting engaged and married. That one's got potential.

-Chairman

No comments: