Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Participating in History

This is strange. A have this peculiar urge today. I sort of want to vote. Given my stance that apathy and sloth outweighs civic duty, this is strange. But wouldn't it be cool to be a part of history. In all likelihood, we are going to elect our first black president tonight. And we're going to elect our 47th stiff, old white dude as vice president.

A complete aside. In 1881, James A. Garfield, our 20th president, died, and Chester Arthur, the vice-president took over the presidency. Who became vice president?

Anyway, back my original thought. Wouldn't it be cool to be a part of history? If I voted, perhaps, I could say that I voted for the first black American president. But you know what would make for a better story? I could say that I voted against the first black American president. That would be a story to tell my grandchildren. Sort of like how a journeyman pitcher who made it to the big leagues could tell his grandkids about how he beaned Barry Bonds in his only inning in the majors. Which would be cool, only in a psychologically troubled mind, such as my own.

And I think that I just compared Barack Obama to Barry Bonds.

In any case, the voting booths are on the way to the gym. I'm off to lift. We'll see if the lines are short enough to justify my being a part of history, in either direction.

-Chairman

2 comments:

Greg McConnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg McConnell said...

A complete aside. In 1881, James A. Garfield, our 20th president, died, and Chester Arthur, the vice-president took over the presidency. Who became vice president?

I had forgotten about this, so I had to look it up. President Arthur didn't have a Vice-President.