Sunday, July 17, 2005

It's a Process

Let's see first thing to new readers, check out my food blog (http://kitchenchairman.blogspot.com). It's a collection of restaurants reviews and musings about what's going on in my kitchen. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Damn skippy.

I love how whenever you discover (or re-discover) something that you can do, you just brighten up like a little kid. It's like the first time you listen to really powerful prose or music. You just smile like a toddler discovering snow.

I went for my walk/jog again tonight. And it felt good. Still able to go about 250 yards before I felt anything close to a misstep or a lot of stability. I'm sure that a lot of it is just psychological, too. But today, it was my leg muscles (the muscle between the bulge of the calf and the ankle, actually) that got sore , rather than my just joints giving out. It's still a little pathetic, but when you're carrying this much mass along by just shuffling along (and only using those muscles), they get sore. That was the progression that I was expecting.

Where I was happily surprised was when I decided that I wanted to see if I could run/sprint. So I tried a little 30 or 35 yard stretch, and I ran it strong and pain free. I was able to get a little bit of that explosion back from the quads that I didn't get any from just jogging. It felt good, so I tried it again. Only this time, I looked for about a 75 yard stretch or so. And it worked. Felt great to go (relatively) fast for a little stretch. As I was walking back to the apartment, I was just smiling from ear to ear. I really didn't think that I was going to be able to sprint pain free.

I think that the legs will get strong faster than I originally thought. At least the running muscles. I'm still afraid of the knee joint. I know that when I extend for the last 10 degrees, it hurts right on the tendon. I tried to do a little kickboarding at the pool, and it actually hurt to just kick throught the water, mainly it was because the only motion through the knee was the last 10 degrees, and kicking through water is a little more resistance than I was used to. I'm not sure about the jumping or the lateral motion, yet. And another big thing is stopping and changing direction. We'll see about all that tomorrow at basketball.

Anyway, it's time to get cleaned up.

-Chairman

No comments: