Thursday, July 14, 2005

Running in the Slow Lane

Wow. So I still suck. But I sucked less today. I tried the walking/jogging thing again tonight. I was able to jump it up to about 200 yards of running before the joints kicked in. Happily, the lungs can still handle the 200 yards Took a similar route as last time and actually got to add on an extra 200 yards or so before my 30 minutes elapsed. The eventual goal is still to be able to jog 2.5 miles in 30 minutes eventually. It's modest, but hey. Compared to where I'm at now, it would be quite the achievement.

What's interesting is that my knees aren't really sore after running. There are a couple points when I run where the legs aren't very stable, and that has to do with the knees. But it's not like how I feel after playing ball. I'm thinking that it's the jumping, landing, starting, stopping, and changing direction that kills me. So, the jog isn't really bad. I'm optimistic that I can build up strength in the legs and get things back. Watch out world.

On a completely unrelated (well, sort of related) note, I've had some interesting thoughts in the spiritual realm of late. I'm amazed at how much more forgiving God is than I am. I'm amazed at how easy it is to get a clean slate in God's eyes. I'm not nearly so forgiving. And this is especially true for things regarding myself.

I'm getting back into pursuing the spiritual disciplines: reading, prayer and meditation, solitude, and even fasting. I've found how unbalanced my has become of late. My academic interests had taken the forefront. I had left behind a lot of the physical intensity and the spiritual intensity that had been so characteristic of who I was. It's time to get that back. It's time to own my shit and to hit on those soft 17's. And all of you get a front row seat Don't thank me all at once.

-Chairman

No comments: