Tuesday, July 12, 2005

That Which Does Not Kill Me...

...tends to just piss me off.

Here's something that's interesting. As much as I hate the idea (and the actual act of) running, it's time to get back into it. Or at least some combination of jogging and walking. Well, alright. Walking and then jogging a few steps every so often.

Basically, I've never been much of a distance runner. At my prime, I'd be pleased with myself if I ran 2.5 miles without stopping to punch someone and/or get a lung transplant. Now, with bad knees, running for more than 100 yards is a chore. Literally. Tonight I went for a walk/jog for the first time in a couple years. Probably went a total of 1.5 miles. Maybe ran for like 7 stretches of 100 yards, which is about how far I go now before the knees start barking at me.

Regardless, it's time. Here are the ground rules. 5 days a week. 30 minute sessions. Run until the legs/lungs/joints need rest. The keep walking. Once the legs/lungs/joints feel better, start running. No stopping. No worries about distance for now. I need to get the heart, legs, and lungs going again. Eventually, I'll be back to jogging my 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. Hopefully, that will also strengthen the legs and knees.

I need to cook more, I need to start jogging, and I need to lift 4 times a week. Otherwise, I'll probably die a premature death of natural causes. Which totally isn't sexy. It's one thing to die in a drive-by shooting. It's another to die because your cholesterol is 750 and your heart explodes. If I die tragically in a drive-by shooting at 30, I'll live with it. If I die of a heart attack at 30 there will be hell to pay. I'm going back to the cooking that I used to do back when I lived with Matt and when we both cared about what we ate. Basically, I'm just making the call right now. If I'm not kicking ass and taking names by the time it gets cold, I'll cut out red meat for 30 days and go South Beach. I hate the idea, but something needs to give.

I'm just sick of being crappy on the courts and not being able to do the things that I was able to do 2 years ago. This was one of my New Year's resolutions. I'm just a little late in getting around to implementing it. Crap. If friggin' Jared Fogel can do it, then damn skippy if I can't.

-Chairman.

No comments: