Monday, August 28, 2006

The Follow-Up

Hit the courts yesterday to ball with a bunch of guys from my previously mentioned flag football team. And for the first time in a while, I played ball. And I played pretty well. Good defense, decent rebounding, decent point skills and passing. The only thing that I sucked at? Shooting, oddly enough. It was funny - I had gotten used to being either a spot-up shooter or a post player for the past year and a half. And I was playing ball that was sort of loose, so I was running a lot of point. So, I didn't get any kick-out passes for jumpers. I was the one finding shooters. And if I wanted to score, it was going to be beating people off the dribble. So, I'd set up the little crossover dribble into a pull-up jumper. Only I hadn't shot a pull-up in a long time, so I looked like a special ed kid in gym class (and not the autistic kid that won an ESPY). That's alright. I moved well - the pull-up jumper will come back soon enough. But what was nice was that I was able to play some defense. I was actually tipping passes, making steals, and starting breaks. I guarded some big guys, and pretty much neutralized them.

Today, the legs are a little sore again. The knees are, too. But not in a crippling way that I've been used to. They're sore in a way that I'm used to them being the day after I play ball. This is good. I'll probably try to make it back to the courts some time in the middle of the week for another run.

Goals for next run? Improve defense. Get shooting under control. Dribble penetrate.

Should be obtainable.

Anyway, back to work... sort of.

-Chairman

2 comments:

Greg said...

Hey,

As soon as I get something I will be down there. I think something might be coming soon.

Greg

Chairman said...

You know - I've got a few IM t-shirts, but they're for 4-on-4 sand v'ball. We've hit a couple quarterfinals and semifinals in football. I really want a football one at some point. I've got 2 more seasons left. Maybe I'd be better off doing the 4 on 4 passing league?

-Chairman