Friday, March 03, 2006

Speaking Unofficially

Welcome to the mother of all Illini created holidays. Yep. It's time for Unofficial St. Patrick's Day here at the U. There's nothing so great as a holiday created by bar owners to encourage binge drinking and the celebration of the Irish heritage (which, coincidentally, is also binge drinking). This year, the bars don't open until 11am, which is a far cry from the 8am from years past. The best part? We had bar owners being quoted in our newspapers saying something to the effect of, "we're disappointed in the late start time, since that means that students will likely be drinking at their apartments, unsupervised, in the morning." What a philanthropist. Even better? Same dude was complaining that other bars were ripping off his idea. God bless this guy.

What's even better is that the original point of Unofficial was so that bars could have another day of making tons of money, since St. Patrick's day was over spring break. Over the last couple years, spring break has been pushed back, so that St. Patrick's actually falls on the school calendar. So, there's Unofficial, as well as the real St. Patrick's day. Got to love that.

So, it's a little after 12 right now. And I'm still up, punching out a section of a paper to send off to my advisor, so I figure that it would be a great time to pause for a moment, and punch up a blog posting over an ice cold can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. After all, it was established in Milwaukee in 1844. Which was a big year for me, as that was when I first arrived here at the U. And it's all been downhill ever since.

I don't believe that I'll be partaking in the daytime Unofficial activities. I've got a couple seminars to go to, starting at 11:30 and ending at 3. So, I think that I'll head home, hit the gym, and get a nap before having dinner and heading out to campus and seeing the carnage. Which is a lot like the rest of my days.

But enough about me. What do you think about me?

-Chairman

No comments: