Friday, August 26, 2005

Back to the Grind

This is actually an exciting post for me. I think that my knee is back. I've laid off of it for the last 5 or so weeks, just doing some jogging and a little work on the exercise bike, and it's been feeling good. So, I gave it a shot today when I hit the gym. I shot around for a little while (which I have been doing, actually), but then got into a full court game. It felt good, so I matched up against the other team's best player, a decent point guard.

My team had a point man who wasn't much of a passer and was telling people on our squad to shoot (even the bad players), an Asian dude who had jeans on, and a couple kids who were average athletes, but not too tall or very strong. I was easily the strongest player on the floor, and it turns out, the best shooter.

I sort of laid low on offense the first couple of possessions and hoped that the guys would move the rock around. That didn't really happen. I had some great seals on my guy in the post, but never saw the ball. So, I call for the ball, and get my left wing iso against my guy. I love this spot on the floor. I can go right and work for a pull up at the free throw line. I can go left and work for my 14' bank shot. This time I fake left, drive right towards the free throw line. Pull up from 14. Nation. Everything felt good, and I got okay lift on the shot. I thought that I was good to go.

Couple possessions later, same story. Almost the same shot, with the same result. A few possessions later, I cross to the left, but get cut off. One dribble drop step gets me my 14 footer at the free throw line again. All of the shots felt great, and it felt like I had nice lift on all of them. All told, I played pretty good D, only allowing my guy to get two buckets in the half court, both longer J's. I grabbed a few boards, threw a couple assists (would've been more had 1) I been running point and 2) my guys would've been able to hit a 5' jumper). Shot 6 for 9 with all of the misses being in close in the post (strangely enough).

Now the trick is, for the knee to not hurt afterwards. Right now, the legs are a little stiff, but I think that the knee is OK. Both legs are about equally sore, so that means the stress was distributed evenly, which means that I'm not trying to baby the right knee. Which is a good thing.

Let's get some ice on this bad boy, and see where it goes.

-Chairman

No comments: