Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving

My week has been inspiring. No work. No productivity. Though, to be fair, I've been sick, so I've been more or less just getting healthy and getting my life back in order. And it's not really true when I say that I haven't been productive. I've cleaned the apartment, I've organized my office, and I've done some PM on my computers. I just haven't done any research or work for my classes. So, tomorrow is the start of getting back on the horse. At least in theory.

Thanksgiving was nice and relaxed for me. No travel. Just hanging out, watching bad football, and cooking up a nice meal. Decided to mix it up again this year. In the past, I've done a big Thanksgiving turkey dinner w/some traditional sides. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, the whole 9 yards. And after I didn't need to feed a whole group of people, I switched over to making rib roasts for Thanksgiving. Basically, it ended up being me versus a 3 pound bone-in ribeye, cooked a nice medium rare.

This year, I decided to switch it up again. Osso Bucco. Slow braised beef shanks. Pretty good stuff. As it cooked, it made this incredible sauce. I also made a pretty simple sourdough dressing w/ sausage, onion, and celery to accompany it. Dessert this year was a pumpkin bread pudding, with some white and milk chocolate in there to mix it up. And the best part? All-day food coma. This will probably get a full writeup over on my food blog, which I'll be firing up soon.

So what am I thankful for this year?

-Having a great family.
-My old friends.
-Meeting new friends.
-Making the transition from 204 to 116.
-Having a car that doesn't seem to ever die.
-Continuing to survive the PhD program.
-My relatively good health.
-Being able to still play sports.
-Being able to cook a great meal.
-Getting better at the things that I like to do.

Anyway, it's off to bed for now. Back to work tomorrow.

-Chairman

No comments: