Saturday, November 26, 2005

While We're at it...

... just another thought before I turned in for the night.

Maybe I can stop leaving my computer and printer on all the time... well, maybe I can stop leaving both my desktop and laptop on all the time. A PC and printer will run between 115W and 185W (give or take, depending on your system and components). Just for reference, leaving something continually on that is using 1W, will result in 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, or 8.76KWH per year. Remembering that I pay something like $.074/KWH for my power, that adds up to $97.24 per year that I pay to leave my desktop on all the time. Let's say that I'm on the desktop for an hour a day, and that means that I'm essentially wasting $93 per year by leaving the dumb thing on.

And my laptop runs 72W all the time, too... maybe I can just deal with the extra 2 minutes it takes for it to load up... Hmmm... so power is sort of expensive. Thankfully, water is cheaper - something like $0.01 for 3.75 gallons of water. (http://www.illinoisamerican.com/awpr1/ilaw/pdf/rates_champaign_2005.pdf ). I think that I'll just go turn off my computer and start running all of my faucets all day. My kitchen faucet takes about 44 seconds to fill up a gallon container. That means that it takes me 2.75 minutes to use up $.01 worth of water. This is about 22 cents an hour... nevermind. I'm going to bed.

-Chairman

No comments: